Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Sandusky County Fair 2008 Edition



Phil and I first visited Fremont for my mom and Rob's wedding in March of '03. We saw nothing but the historic district around the Hayes Presidential Center and were mildly impressed with what we saw. We returned a year and a half later, and that was when Fremont really wooed us. The county fair! I love county and state fairs. They bring real tears to my eyes! No joke...the whole America-ness feeling of comraderie and history in cheering on our fellow citizens to win the blue ribbon for fattest pig, or tallest sunflower, how about a blue ribbon for mixed art media ages4-8 and it's a velvet picture from K-mart that some kid colored. How great is that!? I especially love the horse show as riders of all different ages and levels compete against each other. Unfortunately Jacob finds it B-O-R-I-N-G so until Mena can take my side I'm usually out voted.


I was afraid this year I was going to miss it because of Jacob's arm. We didn't want to take him and have him disappointed that he couldn't ride any of the rides, which is the only reason my son wants to go anyway. One cool thing about our fair is that your $7 entrance fee covers all attractions and rides except for Nighttime grandstand shows. But we did end up going on Saturday and had a great time.

This year there even was a small family circus that was surprisingly good.




From there we went the animal barns, which is Mena's and my favorite. We went on to the home ec buildings to look at 4-H and American Campfires and Girl/Boy Scout projects.

Next was the Sandusky Historical Society barn which has items and family history charts from the area. They're pretty involved for such a small county and I always enjoy their exhibits. Phil even had his annual deep fried cheese curds at Mike's Cheese Curds of Au Claire, WI. It was pretty hot and Mena was falling asleep so we walked home (That's right folks! One of the reasons our house attracted us was its proximity to the fair grounds!) .

After cooling down and having dinner at home we returned for the rides after dark. Even though Jacob had to stick to baby putt-putt rides they were much more fun all lit up at night. We had a great time.

Thought of the week: Walking home in the bright summer afternoon underneath the canopy of trees that lines Rawson Ave and the two blocks between the fairgrounds to my house it occurs to me, that though New York is more exciting and L.A. more glamorous, there are days when my small Ohio town amongst the cornfields, is just a little slice of heaven.
If you wish to publish a post, share with us your favorite thing about your town.

p.s. Jacob's pins were removed yesterday, Monday, without needing a cast! He did see the last pin in his arm before it was removed which tramautized him pretty deeply. He just screamed "Mommy" and clung to me. But he's ok now and again thank you all for your concern and prayers. Love the W's.

No comments:

Design

About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
Just a mom, doing mom things, thinkin' mom thoughts and wishin' I could look like the models in the Lands End catalog. Except without dieting, exercising, or giving up 3 hour naps.