Thursday, May 7, 2009

Jacob - MVP


Our son Jacob has many, many talents. But focus and teamwork aren't two of them. Or the love of nature either, for that matter. His two favorite sports are swimming and gymnastics. Where one is safely indoors.

This spring we offered him either T-ball or soccer. He chose soccer. Great! Thought I, there is a lot more room for social visibility. You know, no one ever says "Hey, look at that cute T-ball mom." Whereas soccer moms are just so suburban chic ;-) And of course it's all about me.

But here's the kicker, vanity gets me every time. I'm still not the cute soccer mom. My huge tummy crowded in sweatpants, they are all that fits. Stained t-shirts because my wardrobe budget can't keep up with the tornado that is Mena. And sporting the ponytail while my hair shows off my bad roots because I can't figure out a hairstyle I want or the time to get to the salon.

So I'm actually having to pay attention to my son playing the game instead of flaunting my cute soccer mom self.

These pics are from his first game last Saturday. His team, Crew, lost 0-4 but then won on Tuesday 2-0. On Tuesday he even helped defend the goal with a his head. All the parents cheered and asked me his name. Beaming, I said, "Jacob, and he meant to do that!" But of course moments later he is galloping to the bench yelling, "Ow, ow,ow..." Later, he made a successful pass to a little girl teammate who made a goal. And he even attempted a goal himself.

We're very proud of him, this year he is no longer twirling in the back corner like lasts year's attempt at Rugrats Sports. He's actually listening to his coach and watching the ball 50% of the time.

When Tuesdays game was over he came running to me for some H2O. "Honey," said I, "your coach is talking to all the kids you need to go over there". In which my little "Beckham" spins and begins skipping back to his group. "Run, Jacob run! Don't skip, sweetie."



p.s. At the library today I checked out "Great Hair: Secrets to Looking Fabulous and Feeling Beautiful Every Day" by Nick Arrojo of TV's "What Not to Wear".

4 comments:

Allison Gatt said...

Hair and clothes no longer count for us for the next 3 months. I think of it as time off from the bathroom mirror. The less amount of time standing in front of it these days the better!


GOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo TEAM CREW!

Allison Gatt said...

Oh and I know Phil isn't keen, but that's ok. I'll post it anyway.

Using Miriam and Ellis, along with your idea of Elizabeth:

Miriam Ellisabeth and calling her something like Liza, or Eliza, or Beth, or Betsy.

Just popped into my head reading names....

Peppermint Lane said...

Better watch out- Looks like he is getting the soccer bug. Mine still has it at 32!

kt moxie said...

Jacob looks GREAT in his soccer gear!

Hey... as long as he's having fun and running off some of that energy it's all good!

Design

About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
Just a mom, doing mom things, thinkin' mom thoughts and wishin' I could look like the models in the Lands End catalog. Except without dieting, exercising, or giving up 3 hour naps.