Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Simplify - 09!

Phil and I have been talking for a couple of months now about pruning the excesses of our life. We've become so crazy busy since moving to Ohio. And the whole point of living in this sleepy little town was to enjoy a slower and more serene family life.

So we've taken inventory of some of the things that we're making us crazy. Mostly it was busy schedules with us passing in the night with our school, work, church and family responsibilities.

Then I found this quote by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the LDS Church, "Sometimes we feel that the busier we are, the more important we are- as though our busyness defines our worth...We can spend a lifetime whirling about at a feverish pace, checking off list after list of things that in the end really don't matter. That we do a lot may not be so important. That we focus the energy of our minds, our hearts, and our souls...is essential."

So after thinking about it for sometime, and a month of panic attacks, I've decided to turn off the cable. WHat!? you cry! How does that help anything? Well, my kids addiction to cartoons was driving me nuts. The constant mindless happy noises were grating on my nerves and making me cranking when I was home. Plus, they would fight over shows. Now they are forced to play with one another and be creative. Phil and I cut the umbilical cord to our DVR which was just another to-do list that we never felt we could keep up with. We still have very basic $5 cable which gives us the broadcasts channels, two local channels and PBS so the kids still have some cartoons before school and we can still watch primetime television. BUT, now if we aren't able to watch a show when it's not on we just miss it...how revolutionary!

We also kept our internet for shows if we want to log on and we still love the hulu. Funny, I was so anxious the day it all went away, what are we going to do with ourselves? But then when it was gone it was like a huge weight was lifted off.

Now I don't think everyone has to go to this extreme, we were extreme t.v. addicts and needed a little moderation, but just look at these cute photos of my wee ones building blanket castles...isn't that what childhood was meant to be about it?







Now what's next to be pruned this year? Cable was just the beginning...

1 comment:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Congrats on cutting the TV Cord! And way to go on cutting down the excesses! We just ended our dish network wich includes our DVR. Hope that goes OK. :o)

I guess when you move to a smaller town and ward and end up closer to family things will actually get busier as you have more to do for your community, church and family- not that this is a bad thing.

I love the forts-- loved them as a child, love them as a mom.

Design

About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
Just a mom, doing mom things, thinkin' mom thoughts and wishin' I could look like the models in the Lands End catalog. Except without dieting, exercising, or giving up 3 hour naps.